I did some digging, and I found that the December 21st is not only the first day of winter, but is a date with many of significant events through out the years. I decided to go back until 1992 because that was the year I was born. I hope you enjoy this list, and you can find many more like it by visiting OnThisDay.com.
- 1992 Dutch DC-10 in fire at landing on Faro Portugal, 56 die
- 1994 Bomb goes off on #4 train on Fulton Street NYC
- 1995 Martina Ertl of Germany wins her 3rd giant slalom world cup
- 1995 SF Giants announce plans to build a new stadium to open in 2000
- 1995 The city of Bethlehem passes from Israeli to Palestinian control.
- 1996 Pakistan all out 67 to lose to Tasmania by an inning
- 1997 Detroit Lions Barry Sanders is 3rd to run for 2,000 yards in a season
- 1997 Detroit Lions linebacker Reggie Brown, knocked unconscious in game
- 1999 The Spanish Civil Guard intercepts a van loaded with 950 kg of explosives that ETA intended to use to blow up Torre Picasso in Madrid.
- 2006 Puzzle Play aired to network Ten, replacing In the Box.
- 2007 The Schengen Agreement area increases to include 9 European Union member states; Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, Slovakia, and Slovenia on land and sea borders.
- 2012 39 people are killed in violent clashes in Kenya.
- 2012 The Mesoamerican Long Count calendar reaches the date 184.108.40.206.0
- 2012 “Gangnam Style” becomes the first video to reach one billion views on YouTube.
- 2012 The NHL announces a further cancellation of games until January 14 brining the total number of cancelled games to 625
Tiny URL for this post: